- NAME: William L. (Bill) Stifler, Jr., M.R.E., M.A.
- ACADEMIC RANK: Associate Professor, Tenured
B.A. Biblical Studies
Tennessee Temple College
1976 M.R.E. Religious School Administration
Temple Baptist Theological Seminary
1981 M.A. English: Writing Concentration
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- NUMBER OF YEARS OF SERVICE ON THIS FACULTY: 17
DATE OF ORIGINAL APPOINTMENT: September 2, 1992
DATE OF ADVANCEMENT IN RANK: July 1, 2000
- OTHER RELATED EXPERIENCE:
1992-1989, Adjunct, Chattanooga State Technical Community College. Duties in teaching, grading placements, tutoring, developing handouts. Coordinator and English instructor, Vantage program. Designed, developed, and programmed Bulletin Board Service for use in Distance Education and Instructional Television Fixed Services classes. Taught Instructional Television Fixed Services EN081 classes.
1991-1976, Primary service, Inventory Control Clerk. Managed dry grocery inventory, analyzing, coordinating, integrating, and/or implementing warehouse, distribution, purchasing, sales, and accounting procedures and operations relevant to warehouse operation and inventory maintenance in cooperation with relevant departments and individuals within the organization. Maintained the accuracy of approximately $10 million of inventory at less than 0.1% variance as measured during bi-yearly inventory reviews. Served as 3rd shift Systems Administrator for Dallas Inventory Management System (DCMCS). Assisted in modifying and implementing DCMCS for use in Health and Beauty Care division.
- REGISTRATION AND STATES IN WHICH REGISTERED
- PRINCIPAL PUBLICATIONS/PRESENTATIONS/SIGNIFICANT PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- "Tinted Glasses: The Defining Power of Assessment." Academic Exchange Quarterly 5.1 (2001): 37.
- "For God and Country."Academic Exchange Quarterly 4.4 (2000): 14.
- "Expanding Universe." Academic Exchange Quarterly 4.3 (2000): 20.
- "The Community College Challenge." Academic Exchange Quarterly 4.2 (2000): 129.
- "Strangers in a Strange Land." Academic Exchange Quarterly 4.1 (2000): 5.
- "Tools of the Online Trade for the Economically Challenged Educator". Academic Exchange Quarterly 3.3 (1999): 4-5.
- "Heralding the Dawn of the Information Age." Academic Exchange Quarterly 3.2 (1999): 4-5.
- "On the Origins of Scientific Curiosity." Academic Exchange Quarterly 3.1 (1999): 4-5.
- "Education in the New Millennium." Academic Exchange Quarterly 2.4 (1998): 4-5.
- "Toward a Model for Education." Academic Exchange Quarterly 2.3 (1998): 4.
- "The True Teaching Tradition." Academic Exchange Quarterly 2.2 (1998): 4.
- "Redeeming Time." Science News (1 Mar. 1997): S24.
- "Lines of Force." Phoenix. Chattanooga State Literary Journal (1995-6): 29.
- "Chickamauga, 1987." Phoenix. Chattanooga State Literary Journal Vol. 10. (1995-6): 30.
- "Insomnia." Phoenix. Chattanooga State Literary Journal Vol. 9. (1994-5): 75.
- "Hybrid Courses and Using V-Mail for Online Teaching." - with Randy Schulte. Keeping Students Connected Around the Globe. 8th Annual TBR Distance Learning Conference. 19 Feb. 2004.
- The Undiscovered Country: Increasing Students' Exposure to Research and Science. Austin, TX: National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development Presentation, 2001.
- "Getting Students on the PILL (Partnership In Learning through the Library)." Austin, TX: National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development Presentation, 1997. With Steve Pec.
- Professional Development:
- Annual Conference of the Two Year College Association of Tennessee - 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
- Summer Institute for Teaching and Learning Online. Chattanooga State. June 2005
- Two-Year College English Association--Southeast. Nashville, TN 2003
- ITL Critical Thinking Workshop. Richard Paul. Fall 2002
- Developing Online Classes. Asynchronous Learning Network (ALN). Online Workshop. Facilitator: John Bourne. 1997.
- Faculty Institute of Technology. Chattanooga State. Facilitators: Joyce Brennan and Richard Seehuus. 1997
- Socratic Questioning and Assessment. The Center and Foundation for Critical Thinking. Facilitator: Richard Paul. Atlanta, GA. April 1997
- On Course Workshop in Student Motivation. Houghton Mifflin Faculty Development Program. Facilitator: Skip Downing. Bon Secours Retreat Center, Marriottsville, MD. May 1997.
- Catalyst Leadership Training Program. Chattanooga State. Facilitator: Dr. Jim Catanzaro. 1996-7.
- W.A.T.C.H. Chattanooga State Writing Across The Curriculum Workshops. Facilitator: Becky Cantrell. 1996.
- Undoing Racism Workshop. The People's Institute for Survival and Beyond. Facilitator: Ron Chisom. May 1996.
- Introduction to the Foundations of Critical Thinking & the Art of Instruction. The Center and Foundation for Critical Thinking. Facilitator: Richard Paul. UTC,. Feb. 1995.
- Introduction to the Internet and HTML. Facilitator: Joyce Brennan. Chattanooga State Online Workshop, 1995.
- SCIENTIFIC AND PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES OF WHICH A MEMBER
- National Council of Teachers of English
- College Composition and Communication
- Teaching English in the Two-Year College
- Two Year College Association--Southeast
- Two Year College Association of Tennessee
- Chattanooga Writers' Guild
- HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2006 Lana Doncaster Technology Innovations Award
- Master Presenter Award, National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD), 2001.
- Master Presenter Award, National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD), 1997.
- 1997 Chattanooga State Nominee for National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD) Master Teacher Award
- COLLEGE AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Webmaster for the Humanities & Fine Arts division TigerWeb group and subgroups: manage documents, membership, announcements, calendar, setting up subgroups for division/department committees, and other services for the division
- Webmaster for the Humanities Division web site <http://www.chattanoogastate.edu/Humanities/>.
- Webmaster for the College Reading & Writing Center web site <http://www.chattanoogastate.edu/Humanities/RWC/>
- Faculty advisor and webmaster for the Phoenix, the Chattanooga State student arts and literary publication <http://www.chattanoogastate.edu/Phoenix/>
- Chattanooga State coordinator and webmaster for the Meacham Writers' Workshop <http://www.chattanoogastate.edu/Meacham/>
- Webmaster for the Institute for Teaching and Learning web site (now defunct)
- Webmaster for the Chattanooga State Honors Society <http://www.chattanoogastate.edu/Honors/hnmain.asp> until 2007
- SUBJECTS OR COURSES TAUGHT
Course Hrs. of
3 Day Undergraduate DSPW0800
3 Day Undergraduate ENGL1010
English Composition I
3 Day Undergraduate ENGL1020
English Composition II
3 Day Undergraduate ENGL2830
Creative Writing: Introduction
3 Day Undergraduate ENGL2840
Creative Writing: Poetry
3 Day Undergraduate ENGL2850
Creative Writing: Fiction
3 Day Undergraduate ENGL2990
Science Fiction Literature
3 Day/Evening Undergraduate HUM 2130
3 Day Undergraduate
- OTHER SIGNIFICANT ASSIGNMENTS
- Technology Access (TAF) Committee 2008-present
- Member, D2L Training and Implementation committees, 2007-present
- Member, Instructional Technology Users Group, 2005-2006
- Institute for Teaching and Learning Committee, 2002-2006.
- Chair of Humanities Division Technology Committee, 2002-2003.
- Copy Editor, Academic Exchange Quarterly, 1997 to May 2001.
- Secretary, Faculty Senate, 1994-5 through 1996-7; 1996-7, principal responsible for revising and editing the Chattanooga State Faculty Senate Constitution
- Campus Diversity Committee, assisted in formulating committee and the principal responsible for writing the committee by-laws, 1996-7.
- Administrator, Chattanooga State Faculty Forum, online discussion distribution list 1995-1998
- Secretary, Arts & Social Issues Committee, 1994-5, 1995-6
- Secretary, Library Committee, 1994
- Co-editor, Right Direction, Chattanooga State Developmental Studies Division Newsletter 1992-1998
- Workshop Facilitator/Planner, Educational Equality Project, UTC, 1992-5
- Workshop Facilitator, Kaplan AAPP Test Preparation Workshops
- SPECIFIC TEACHING AND PROGRAM IMPROVEMENT ACTIVITIES
- Developed TigerWeb users group for Humanities & Fine Arts division, 2008.
- Re-designed the Meacham Writers Workshop and Phoenix websites.
- Re-designed ENGL1010 online for newly developed department re-model of ENGL1010 and formatted the new course for Desire2Learn, 2007.
- Converted WebCT HUM 2130 supplemental and online sites to Desire2Learn formats, 2007.
- Developed a supplemental WebCT site for HUM 2130 World Mythology, 2005.
- Developed HUM 2130 for WebCT, including the use of Respondus exams, and taught the class online, 2004-2007.
- Developed and taught WebCT hybrid ENGL2990 Special Topics: Science Fiction, 2004.
- Developed, taught, and currently revising WebCT hybrids for ENGL2830/2840/2850 creative writing classes, 2003-2005.
- Re-designed and re-formatted website for CDE template, then completed further revisions to incorporate additional WebCT features, and taught Chattanooga State online WebCT Composition I ENGL1010 class, 2003 - 2007.
- Designed WebCT website and teach Composition I (ENGL1010)
- Designed website and taught Chattanooga State online Composition I ENGL1010 class <http://de.cstcc.cc.tn.us/engl1010/> Replaced by WebCT and then D2L
- Pilot course for EN110 [ENGL1010] focused on increased exposure to research and cross-disciplinary studies in science
- Pilot course in argument/persuasive writing-based EN111 [ENGL1020] as an alternative to traditional literature-based composition classes (1999-2000)
- Development of personal web pages to support classes taught, providing assignment and class notices, explanations and examples of assignments, class notes, supplementary materials, e-mail feedback, and links to relevant Internet resources. (The site, much evolved and including personal material, exists at <http://www.billstifler.org/> since 2009.
- Development of two Internet supported, interdisciplinary research projects (African-American History and History of Science) aimed at introducing students to web-based research in collaboration with traditional research resources within the context of the basic philosophies of cultural, historical, and scientific studies
- Development of integrated bulletin board and teaching management system for use in Chattanooga State Distance Education program online, 1992.